Grow'S Progress Log

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grow,

>It is expected that we should be dropping the weight as the session progresses, correct?<

Once you slowly work up to a stress level that brings on fatigue, yes.

>I would assume that once you go from say 5 pounds to 4 pounds in a set, you shouldn’t be able to return to that weight in the same session, correct?<

For me, that was not true. The key in that question is set and session. Yes, there are times where you must reduce in a set, and yet be able to move up past where you ended the previous set. It is often needed to kick off fatigue again. But the overall trend should be that starting and ending weights reduce over the course of the session.

It is relatively the same with starting and ending weights between sessions. I have often written about not being able to return to previous max weights for a couple weeks, riding severe fatigue. But then, the normal thing was to slowly move up, always searching for true fatigue. Starting with previous max or going up in max was the norm. I considered a level of fatigue where I could not do that to be great.

>It could be related to the skin tears I’m dealing with, but, I’m finding I can go from 5 to 3 pounds in a set and still return to 5 for the next set. The odd thing is, it happens for multiple sets! Usually by the 10-12 minute mark I have to drop it and it even feels difficult not to drop it again!<

That is not abnormal.

Bigger

Comment

• >I have often written about not being able to return to previous max weights for a couple weeks, riding severe fatigue. But then, the normal thing was to slowly move up, always searching for true fatigue. Starting with previous max or going up in max was the norm. I considered a level of fatigue where I could not do that to be great.<

Not sure I follow. Are you suggesting there is “pseudo-fatigue”?

Should I be trying to increase despite feeling this level of fatigue? Or are you saying we should strive to increase weight as fatigue allows.

If I’m honest, multiple times within the session today, I was clock watching and couldn’t have added weight for more than 30 seconds. And it would be a long 30 seconds. (Extreme discomfort. Very good form, in my
      estimation)

Literally within a week I’ve gone from a max of 8.5 pounds to not being able to hang 5 pounds for more than 5 minutes in the first set.

So with all said, it’s OK to zigzag weights within a session or set, basing the adjustments of a set and session only on fatigue/discomfort.

Lastly, this may be a silly question but how do we know when we are too low in the shaft well. And is this possible?

Comment

• Grow,

>Not sure I follow. Are you suggesting there is “pseudo-fatigue”?<

No.

No idea where you got that. Instances, time, days, sessions, sets, all differ.

>Should I be trying to increase despite feeling this level of fatigue?<

No.

>Or are you saying we should strive to increase weight as fatigue allows.<

No. You should increase when you are not reaching fatigue early in your sessions. Once per week.

>So with all said, it’s OK to zigzag weights within a session or set, basing the adjustments of a set and session only on fatigue/discomfort.<

I believe that is right. Ride the fatigue using the weight you need to use.

>Lastly, this may be a silly question but how do we know when we are too low in the shaft well. And is this possible?<

I guess if you got caught in the bottom hinge.

Bigger

Comment

• Thanks Bib.

The way you wrote the statement I had captioned, I wasn’t quite sure in the context as to when you were suggesting increasing the weight. Sorry about that.

Thanks again. Really appreciate your insight.

Comment

• Conditioning coming up now. Feeling less torturous lol.

I tried something a little reckless but with common sense.

The two skin tears I have that been plaguing my hanging have healed insofar that they aren’t bleeding, however I noticed the skin around them to be very thick.

For my sets yesterday I tried to add a couple more pounds. I was ready to remove ASAP, but just wanted to see for myself if I could handle more than 5 pounds. Added 1 more pound, then another. Within 5 minutes the sting at those tears dulled.

I am not sure what happened, but it seems it loosened the tough skin which was really stinging with lighter weight.

Managed 5 pounds for 20 minutes this morning, so it seems to have worked.

I am being vigilant not to overdo it and hurt myself again, but found it interesting that it worked out ok.

Comment

• Grow,

>...however I noticed the skin around them to be very thick.

For my sets yesterday I tried to add a couple more pounds. I was ready to remove ASAP, but just wanted to see for myself if I could handle more than 5 pounds. Added 1 more pound, then another. Within 5 minutes the sting at those tears dulled.<

OK, this is pulling out the adhesions in the skin. This is almost the exact same thing that happens when you deform the ligs, and they begin to heal. It is rather intense at first, then when they are pulled out, it lessens.

Now, this is a bit reckless to recommend, but rather than plain Vaseline, you can use a triple antibiotic in a PJ base, with lidocaine. The antibiotic will help prevent infection, and the lidocaine will make it more comfortable.

For some, the lidocaine is too effective, making it hard to judge what you are doing when hanging at the lower angles. You may not feel anything in the skin.

Bigger

Comment

• PJ base? What is that?

Do you mean polysporin with 5% lidocaine?

Petroleum Jelly. Lol got it. I’ll give it a shot!
                Last edited by Grow; 10-08-2018, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• Grow,

>PJ base? What is that?<

Petroleum Jelly, Vaseline.

Bigger

Comment

• Tried it out!

Good news is, I was able to hang 6.25 lbs for a couple sets.

The PJ with lidocaine helped. I am definitely not one of the few who feel nothing in the skin with its use. It just seems to dull it slightly. But I did not use too much.

Last set I still was at 3 pounds though. 6.25 to 3 is better than yesterday, so I am good with that.

My GF says my unit feels “heavier and thicker” doesn’t notice length tho. Lol Ironic since I’m just hanging.

Comment

• Hi Grow, I also had some skin tears that lasted 2 weeks. What I did? I hang even with pain on skin, but before the first set I spent on the skin some gel anti tiredness that relieved the pain, I had no problems hanging with the gel and massaging my skin.
                      If my english was bad, I am sorry.

Comment

• Hey c3ifador!

Thanks for taking the time to read my log! Are you referring to petroleum jelly with lidocaine? I have been doing this as well.

I try to massage the skin with petroleum for a few minutes during my warm up. Then I apply a light coating of the lidocaine/antibiotic jelly. It tends to take the initial sting out of the way, but I find it’s not strong enough to completely numb it. (Probably a good thing considering we want feedback from our bodies to determine progression in the set/session.)

Right now I just have one tear that has mostly healed but the surrounding skin is quite thick and I have “pre-stretch” and moisturize it to avoid further complications. Hoping it’s gone within a week.

Comment

• Bib,

Knowing we should be using max weight in effort to reach fatigue within the first set and that the first set is also the most challenging to tighten (due to collagenous fluid need to evacuate the tissue), do you feel this is always possible? Or did you sometimes need a “warm up” set with lighter weights?

Also, if you had to guess, how long would you spend tightening and how many turns per tighthening round?

Right now, I am trying to find the sweet spot between tightening the bottom bolts vs. having appropriate angle of the thumbs from top to bottom I.e. front of hanger vs back. This ——-> / \

What I mean by this is, assuming the top bolt is static between factors, both the tightness of the bottom bolts and the angle of the thumbs are responsible for the attachment integrity (Does this make sense? Let me know if not and I’ll try to explain again).

Looking to see if you have general recommendations for finding the ideal of each.

Comment

• Grow,

>Knowing we should be using max weight in effort to reach fatigue within the first set and that the first set is also the most challenging to tighten (due to collagenous fluid need to evacuate the tissue), do you feel this is always possible? Or did you sometimes need a “warm up” set with lighter weights?<

Almost always, at higher weights, when I was in deep fatigue, with a lot of adhesions, I would start out my first set at about 75% of max. That is, until adhesions from previous deformations were pulled out. Sometimes, I could go to max in the first set, and sometimes, I would go to max in the second set.

>Also, if you had to guess, how long would you spend tightening and how many turns per tighthening round?<

I did not count turns. No idea. Each set was individual. Even with experience, I would feel certain an attachment was solid, then pulse push, and find I needed to tighten more. Very seldom did I find I had tightened too much, and need to loosen the top wing nut.

>Right now, I am trying to find the sweet spot between tightening the bottom bolts vs. having appropriate angle of the thumbs from top to bottom I.e. front of hanger vs back. This ——-> / \<

Just to be sure, you know the bottom bolts are NOT tightening bolts. You set the inner adjustment hex nuts on bottom, then align the two sides, and snug down the outer wing nuts, BEFORE you attach.

>What I mean by this is, assuming the top bolt is static between factors, both the tightness of the bottom bolts and the angle of the thumbs are responsible for the attachment integrity (Does this make sense? Let me know if not and I’ll try to explain again).<

With experimentation, you get the most comfortable toe angle. But you always have the bottom gap wider than the top gap, and the top teeth slightly meshed when the hanger is very tight.

Toe angle generally applies to how comfortable the attachment is. Not as much the ability to grasp the internals.

Tightness of the outer wing nuts is not an issue. They should always be snugged down, to where the right side cannot move. The two sides MUST be static in relation to each other, before you attach.

Bigger

Comment

• Hey Bib

Yes, I know the bottom wing nuts are only for adjustment BEFORE the attachment process.

I wasnt really referring to TOE, rather the angle of the thumbs as they grasp from the top of the shaft to the bottom of the shaft well.

And this parameter with respect to how tight we bring in bottom bolts.

For example, if we adjust those bottom bolts in, the overall shaft well will be smaller, and the angle of the thumbs will be lessened.

In contrast, if we open the bottom bolts up a bit more, (ignoring TOE, as I always toe out slightly) the shaft well is larger, but the angle of the thumbs, from top of shaft to bottom of shaft well is greater. (We may need more WFG to accommodate, but the hanger might have more trouble grasping internals due to using more wrap)

Both of these parameters will determine the attachment integrity, but they are also inversely related.

Do you understand what I am trying to get at?

Just wondering if you have a method you’d follow to determine best and most secure attachment, with these two parameters in mind.

Thanks Bib!

Comment

• Grow,

>For example, if we adjust those bottom bolts in, the overall shaft well will be smaller, and the angle of the thumbs will be lessened.<

The shaft well will be smaller. The rest depends on WFG, and how much the hanger is tightened. The thumbs could be theoretically exactly the same. Not usually, but still...

>In contrast, if we open the bottom bolts up a bit more, (ignoring TOE, as I always toe out slightly) the shaft well is larger, but the angle of the thumbs, from top of shaft to bottom of shaft well is greater. (We may need more WFG to accommodate, but the hanger might have more trouble grasping internals due to using more wrap)<

OK.

>Both of these parameters will determine the attachment integrity, but they are also inversely related.

Do you understand what I am trying to get at?<

Not with the last bit. IF you mean "all other things being equal", then you have the right idea.

>Just wondering if you have a method you’d follow to determine best and most secure attachment, with these two parameters in mind.<

What I always say. Use the amount of WFG that allows the bottom gap to be larger than the top gap, and the top teeth to be slightly meshed, when the hanger is very tight.

Bigger

Comment

Working...
                                X