Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B8.9 thread

Bigger,
    I had a similar injury a little while back. It was (at first) just a minor skin tear. I've had one like it before and it was no big deal to treat. I used triple antibiotic ointment, vaseline, and Medihoney. Anyway, I've been treating this new skin tear the same way I treated the other one, but this one is being difficult. It does not want to heal. I hang 6 sets/20 mins. 6 days of the week. On Wednesdays I only hang one or two sets of half the weight that I hang on the other days. I increase weight every week (by no more than a one pound; sometimes half a pound). So, at the moment, I've been hanging 4 sets/20 mins. each/19 lbs. (BTC) and 2 sets/20 mins. each/15 lbs. (OTS).
    I've read either somewhere on this site or one of the forums on thundersplace (several, actually) that indicated that I should not completely stop hanging to let this skin tear heal. Instead, I should treat it like I have been and still resume my hanging routine.
    As I said before, this one is just not wanting to heal. It's not necessarily getting much worse though either. It has gotten a bit bigger than it was originally, but not by much. So, I've been getting really tired of having to deal with this. It's become a really annoying part of my day(s).
    I don't want to stop hanging because, from what I've read, that's not a good idea, and could actually screw up the progress/gains I've made.
    I read the story above ^^ and decided to reduce the weight also. My question is, based on the weight I'm currently up to (15 lbs. and 19 lbs.), what weight do you recommend I cut down to?

Or do you suggest some other method of dealing with this?

Am I right or wrong in assuming that stopping my hanging routine is a bad thing or is that something I should do? If so, for how long?

TheB8.9,

>I read the story above ^^ and decided to reduce the weight also. My question is, based on the weight I'm currently up to (15 lbs. and 19 lbs.), what weight do you recommend I cut down to? Or do you suggest some other method of dealing with this?<

It really goes by what you FEEL and see. I assume your skin is tight while hanging BTC? If so, you should try reducing the angle somewhat. There are 90 degrees of angle difference between BTC and SD. At some point in that arc, you will most probably find much less stress on the skin.

Then, you will need to find the level of stress on the skin, that allows for continued soft tissue condition, and pulling out of adhesions as much as possible.

I assume you hang while sitting. IF so, you will need to have a hard edge on the front edge of your hanging chair, to hang SD. That will allow you to change angles as needed.

So, if you reduce the angle of hang, you may be able to hang your normal weight. Or you may need to reduce some. The skin tear will still heal, but it may take longer, the more stress you apply to it. The tri-antibiotic is the best thing to use on it, as long as it is in a petroleum base.

Then, after this has healed enough, you most likely need to do a period of dedicated skin stretch. That way, you can stretch the skin, get some extra to work with, and use a controlled level of stress, to prevent macro-tears.

>Am I right or wrong in assuming that stopping my hanging routine is a bad thing or is that something I should do?<

Stopping hanging would be a very bad thing. You would lose soft tissue conditioning, and need to start back at much lower weight. The skin will heal, even while hanging. The thing to learn from this is to prevent macro-tears, and go for micro-tears. This means regulating the amount of fatigue, and therefore deformation. Realize that these same issues occur in the ligs and tunica. You just cannot see them.

Bigger

Comment

When hanging BTC, assuming you're lying back in a reclining office chair, do you want the hanger to hang OFF of the front of the chair or have the back of the hanger rest on the front of the chair and have just the weights hang OFF (below the seat) of the chair?

Comment

TheB8.9,

>When hanging BTC, assuming you're lying back in a reclining office chair, do you want the hanger to hang OFF of the front of the chair or have the back of the hanger rest on the front of the chair and have just the weights hang OFF (below the seat) of the chair?<

True BTC is when you have your butt completely off the front edge of the chair, feet elevated in another chair in front of you, and the shaft or hanger actually BTC. That is the most severe of lower hanging angles.

Bigger

Comment

If your butt is completely off the front edge of the chair, feet elevated in another chair in front of you, what's keeping you in the chair? I only have a rudamentary knowledge of physics but I'm pretty sure that what you're describing would lead to someone falling out of the chair onto the ground. What is keeping you in the chair if your butt is not seated at least a litte bit? I understand getting as close to the edge as possible and even having the back of the hanger resting over the front edge of the chair with your butt scooted as close to the front as possible. Is that what you mean?

Comment

TheB8.9,

>If your butt is completely off the front edge of the chair, feet elevated in another chair in front of you, what's keeping you in the chair? I only have a rudamentary knowledge of physics but I'm pretty sure that what you're describing would lead to someone falling out of the chair onto the ground. What is keeping you in the chair if your butt is not seated at least a litte bit?<

Well, your feet are in another chair in front of you. Then, your lower back, shoulders, etc, are on the chair.

>I understand getting as close to the edge as possible and even having the back of the hanger resting over the front edge of the chair with your butt scooted as close to the front as possible. Is that what you mean?<

With true BTC, the hanger does not touch the front edge of the chair. It should be an inch or so away from the edge. Not sure how you want to describe that, but I call it having the butt off the front edge of the chair.

Bigger

Comment

"lower back, shoulders, etc." answers my question. Doesn't sound comfortable at all, but it does answer my question. Thank ya sir.

Comment

Bigger,

Since the last time I spoke with you I’ve changed my routine. As I said, I started to decrease the weight for each set. I haven’t decreased the amount of sets; just weight. Everyday I decrease the weight per set by .5 lbs. So, if I started at 2 sets/15 lbs. (OTS), the next day, it would be 14.5 lbs. (OTS). I do this for all sets: 2 OTS, 3 BTC, and 1 SD/SP. Tomorrow, I’ll be doing 2 sets/6.5 lbs. (OTS), 3 sets/8.5 lbs. (BTC), and 1 set/9 lbs. (SD)

You told me that if I was to stop hanging for a time to let the skin tear heal, that would be a very bad thing. So, I took your advice and have not stopped hanging. I do the same routine of 2 sets OTS, 3 sets BTC, and 1 set SD, except for Wednesdays. Wednesdays are (half the weight as the day before) for 1 set OTS, 1 set BTC, and 1 Set SD.

I think it’s important to note that since learning what “True BTC” is, I’ve been doing it the “true BTC” way, whereas before I talked to you I was scooting as close to the edge of the chair as possible, but still letting the back of the hanger rest on the edge of the chair (as I leaned back with my feet propped up in a chair in front of me). That, along with the daily decrease in weight, are really the only changes I’ve made.

Each day, I evaluate the “problem” area. I say area because it is no longer a simple skin tear. It’s now more like a wound. It used to be a skinny line (a tear), but now it’s more like a circle (about the size of a BB). It’s not infected. I want to be clear about that. I know what an infected area looks like and this is not that. It is, however, a problem. As you know, I’ve been trying to have this area heal 100%.

So, my goal now is not to make new gains. Eventually I will want to make new gains, but for now my top priorities are just maintaining the gains I’ve made and allowing the “wound” to heal 100%. I was hoping that, given this new information, you might have a new suggestion(s) for me. Please reply at your earliest convenience. Thanks. I really appreciate it.

Comment

TheB8.9,

>Since the last time I spoke with you I’ve changed my routine. As I said, I started to decrease the weight for each set. I haven’t decreased the amount of sets; just weight. Everyday I decrease the weight per set by .5 lbs. So, if I started at 2 sets/15 lbs. (OTS), the next day, it would be 14.5 lbs. (OTS). I do this for all sets: 2 OTS, 3 BTC, and 1 SD/SP. Tomorrow, I’ll be doing 2 sets/6.5 lbs. (OTS), 3 sets/8.5 lbs. (BTC), and 1 set/9 lbs. (SD) <

What is the purpose of all of this?

>I think it’s important to note that since learning what “True BTC” is, I’ve been doing it the “true BTC” way, whereas before I talked to you I was scooting as close to the edge of the chair as possible, but still letting the back of the hanger rest on the edge of the chair (as I leaned back with my feet propped up in a chair in front of me). That, along with the daily decrease in weight, are really the only changes I’ve made.

Each day, I evaluate the “problem” area. I say area because it is no longer a simple skin tear. It’s now more like a wound. It used to be a skinny line (a tear), but now it’s more like a circle (about the size of a BB). It’s not infected. I want to be clear about that. I know what an infected area looks like and this is not that. It is, however, a problem. As you know, I’ve been trying to have this area heal 100%. <

We are not communicating very well. I assume you did not understand when I told you to reduce the angle of hang above. I assume the skin tear is on the top of the shaft? If so, then you should not have started true BTC, until you completely healed. If the skin tear is on top, you can reduce the severity of the angle of hang, and take stress off the skin. If SD still puts a lot of stress on the skin, then use an angle between SD and SO.

>So, my goal now is not to make new gains. Eventually I will want to make new gains, but for now my top priorities are just maintaining the gains I’ve made and allowing the “wound” to heal 100%. I was hoping that, given this new information, you might have a new suggestion(s) for me. Please reply at your earliest convenience. Thanks. I really appreciate it.<

Reduce the angle of hang.

Do you have a hard edge on the front of your chair for the hanger skids to ride upon? If not, tell me what the chair seat looks like.

Are you using the tri-antibiotic in a petroleum base?

Bigger

Comment

The purpose of all this is to show you my routine so that you might be able to pinpoint what it is that I'm doing that's causing this wound not to heal. Which you did, by telling me that true BTC is not something I should be doing until the wound heals. And also that I should do something in between SD and SO if it's too stressful. Honestly, tho, none of these angles (OTS, BTC, SD) are stressful to me. I guess they're stressful to my skin because my skin tore. But I don't feel stressed or pain while hanging in any of these positions. That's why I'm asking you for suggestions on how to alter my routine.

I don't really understand what you mean by reducing the angles tho. I do have a hard edge on the front of my chair that the hanger skids can ride upon. That's what I used to do when I thought I was doing true BTC. Apparently, it was not true BTC so I changed it. If that's what you mean by reducing the angle then I'll go back to doing it that way. By reducing the angle do you also mean that I should sit up straight or continue to lean back? Do I still keep my feet elevated in front of me?

Yes, I think the triple antibiotic ointment is petroleum based. It says that it is made with "white petrol." If not, I could mix it with vaseline, which I know is petroeum-based.

Comment

TheB8.9,

>The purpose of all this is to show you my routine so that you might be able to pinpoint what it is that I'm doing that's causing this wound not to heal. Which you did, by telling me that true BTC is not something I should be doing until the wound heals. And also that I should do something in between SD and SO if it's too stressful. Honestly, tho, none of these angles (OTS, BTC, SD) are stressful to me. I guess they're stressful to my skin because my skin tore. But I don't feel stressed or pain while hanging in any of these positions. That's why I'm asking you for suggestions on how to alter my routine.<

If the skin is not healing, then you are obviously tearing it open a bit more each day. The only way to stop putting so much stress on it is to lessen the angle of hang, or reduce weight, or a combination of the two.

>I don't really understand what you mean by reducing the angles tho<

True BTC is the most severe angle. It is the one that puts the most stress on the skin. As the shaft angle comes up, there is less stress on the skin.

>I do have a hard edge on the front of my chair that the hanger skids can ride upon. That's what I used to do when I thought I was doing true BTC. Apparently, it was not true BTC so I changed it. If that's what you mean by reducing the angle then I'll go back to doing it that way. By reducing the angle do you also mean that I should sit up straight or continue to lean back?<

Reach down and feel the skin while hanging. If it is loose, there is little stress on it. Use the angle that is as low as possible, without putting stress on the skin.

>Do I still keep my feet elevated in front of me?<

You should be able to do so.

>Yes, I think the triple antibiotic ointment is petroleum based. It says that it is made with "white petrol." If not, I could mix it with vaseline, which I know is petroeum-based.<

What you are using should be fine. Keep it on the area at all times.

Bigger

Comment

You said SD is probably too severe an angle. Is the same true for OTS? It's in the opposite direction, but could that be what is keeping this from healing faster?

Comment

TheB8.9,

>You said SD is probably too severe an angle. <

Only you can know for sure. Very easy to reach down and see if the skin is taught while hanging SD.

Is the wound still not healing?

>Is the same true for OTS? It's in the opposite direction, but could that be what is keeping this from healing faster?<

If the wound is on top of the shaft, then OTS should put zero stress on the skin on the area. Neither should SO.

Bigger

Comment

The skin is too tight while hanging SD. I've stopped that completely until the wound heals. It still has not healed, it does look like it's getting better, but it's hard to know for sure. I feel like it's taking a lot longer than it should. I only do SO and OTS so I was just seeing if OTS was the reason for the slow healing process. You answered my question tho.
                            By the way, the wound is on the top/side of the shaft. If you were to pinch the shaft on both sides, one of your fingers would touch part of the wound.

Comment

TheB8.9,

>The skin is too tight while hanging SD. I've stopped that completely until the wound heals.<

Good.

>t still has not healed, it does look like it's getting better, but it's hard to know for sure. I feel like it's taking a lot longer than it should.<

I agree. I never had any skin split that took more than a week to heal up completely.

>By the way, the wound is on the top/side of the shaft. If you were to pinch the shaft on both sides, one of your fingers would touch part of the wound.<

Then SO or OTS is the way to go. Get in your sets, keep your soft tissue conditioning, and let it heal.

Bigger

Comment

Working...
                              X