Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaft rotates out of alignment as I tighten the hanger

Hi Bib,

Dug my hanger out after 10 years and decided to give hanging another shot.

I sometimes manage to hang successfully (good lig tug, no pain).

However, sometimes I have real issues getting the shaft alignment right.

I believe the two sides of the hanger should grip over the two chambers (one on each side of the shaft), to allow the vein that runs along the top of the shaft to continue to supply blood to the head.

The problem is that as I tighten the hanger, the head rotates about 45 degrees in either direction so the one of the jaws clamps down on the top of the shaft, impeding blood flow (leading to an engorged head) and having a less effective grip on the internals.

Every time I make a small adjustment to try and rotate the shaft back the other way, the shaft winds up rotated 45 degrees in the other direction and this just keeps continuing. Its hit and miss if I manage to get a good symmetrical grip on the shaft.

I must be doing something wrong -any ideas?

gamalan1,

>I must be doing something wrong -any ideas?<

Surely,

I understand what you are doing, and it is a technique issue. But please realiize that you do not need the shaft to be perfectly straight.

The first thing is to make sure your WFG, wrapped flaccid girth is right. You need enough WFG so that the bottom gap is larger than the top gap, and the top teeth mesh slightly, when the hanger is very tight.

This is all part of refining your technique. To prevent twisting, your bottom gap must be larger than the top gap (when the hanger is very tight), such that the wrapped shaft sits low in the shaft well, and the lateral compression is on the top sides of the two major chambers.

When you first attach the hanger, not tightened very much, you push the hanger to the head to remove the excess blood. You should see the internals straighten, the head included. If it does not, try it again.

After you have removed the excess blood from the head and upper shaft: Then, you must use your left thumb to push down on the front of the shaft, between the head and hanger, as you lift up on the hanger with your left palm, as you tighten the hanger. This will provide some forward pressure and keep the shaft straight in the shaft well, as you tighten. You will need to experiment, to find the needed amount of forward pressure to keep the shaft straight.

It is not a passive thing with your left thumb. If the shaft tries to twist left, put more pressure on the right side, and vice versa.

Be sure you are tightening slowly, allowing time for the tissues to meld into the hanger. Tighten a good bit, then wait a minute, holding forward pressure on the hanger. Then tighten more. It should be easier. Repeat as much as needed. Leave your left thumb in place, to keep the shaft straight.

The first set will be the hardest to tighten properly. This is because collagenous matrix fluid has not been squeezed out yet by the stretch. So the first set will take more time for tightening. After that, it will be easier to tighten, and take less time.

It should NEVER take much torque to tighten the top wing nut. If it does, you have not allowed enough time for the hanger to grasp.
    Further, be sure you are using Vaseline, or a light oil, on the top bolt threads, washer, and wing nut, to reduce friction.

So then you must tighten enough to hold the amount of weight you wish to hang, and also tighten enough to keep the shaft straight in the shaft well.

After you are done, you should have tightened enough so that the shaft should not be able to turn.

Realize that this issue is due to the shaft popping within the shaft well, to one side or the other. The two major chambers should be in the inner fingers of the hanger. The bottom chamber should be in the bottom teeth. If the hanger is not attached properly, and held in place while tightening, one of the major top chambers can pop into the bottom of the shaft well. You can see the same type of thing happen when manually stretching.

Try it and get back to me.

Bigger

Comment

Thanks Bib, thats a fair bit to digest. Ill see how I get on.

Btw, what does WFG mean?

Comment

gamalan1,

>Btw, what does WFG mean?<

WFG, wrapped flaccid girth

Bigger

Comment

Working...
        X