Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Role of sleep in growth

Hi Bib,

I'm making a pledge to get in more hang hours this year (I've logged about 510 hours so far)...I was curious what your thoughts were on sleep. When you were hanging for gains, did you stick to a sleep schedule to help your body recover? With work, we might have to compromise by staying up late or getting up early to get extra hang hours. In your opinion, would this get in the way of gains since at a certain point you are just wearing your body down into exhaustion?

Thanks and happy new year!

MNJ13,

>I'm making a pledge to get in more hang hours this year (I've logged about 510 hours so far)...I was curious what your thoughts were on sleep. When you were hanging for gains, did you stick to a sleep schedule to help your body recover? With work, we might have to compromise by staying up late or getting up early to get extra hang hours. In your opinion, would this get in the way of gains since at a certain point you are just wearing your body down into exhaustion?<

Great question. My sleep time suffered greatly when I was hanging for gains. First let me say that I did not sleep much for decades, including the time when I was hanging for gains. I get a lot more rest now, though probably not enough.

But when I was hanging, it was exciting, and I wanted to do it. Even when I was not gaining. I did not get up early, but I stayed up late, getting in my extra night sets. So I cannot say anything about the variable of rest for recovery. I concentrated on deformation.

Bigger

Comment

I read that you did your hanging from about 7:30am-4:30pm each day. So you still got up at 7:30 each day even though you were staying up late the night before? Maybe that's the way, since I want to get this time in to reap the benefits later!

Comment

MNJ13,

>I read that you did your hanging from about 7:30am-4:30pm each day. So you still got up at 7:30 each day even though you were staying up late the night before?<

I got up earlier than that. Usually 5:30-6. I started hanging at 7:30 generally, because that is when the family left the house. Even on the weekends or holidays, I started about then behind a locked door.

Bigger

Comment

Dang, that's some commitment! What time do you think on average you were able to go to bed at night?

Comment

MNJ13,

>Dang, that's some commitment! What time do you think on average you were able to go to bed at night?<

11-12 unless I was working on a hanger.

Bigger

Comment

Working...
            X