Log + Questions regarding attaching hanger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

qwerty12,

>The hanger doesn't slip. Instead, it's a cold burning sensation at the foreskin once I hang for >10 minutes. Not sure why this happens, as it has never happened before. My assumption is that the blood circulation isn't great, and that it's being cut off to a point of a cold burning sensation at the tip.<

Could be I guess. Cold burning is not a description I have heard before outside of frostbite.

Bigger

Comment

Originally posted by Bib View Post
      qwerty12,

>The hanger doesn't slip. Instead, it's a cold burning sensation at the foreskin once I hang for >10 minutes. Not sure why this happens, as it has never happened before. My assumption is that the blood circulation isn't great, and that it's being cut off to a point of a cold burning sensation at the tip.<

Could be I guess. Cold burning is not a description I have heard before outside of frostbite.

Bigger
      Is it generally ok to stop a set at the 10 minute mark? As in, instead of six 20 minute sets, there are twelve 10 minute sets?

Or is it fine to take a short break (2 minutes) after 10 minutes of hanging, and then resume the rest of the 10 minutes to finish a single set?

Comment

qwerty12,

>Is it generally ok to stop a set at the 10 minute mark? As in, instead of six 20 minute sets, there are twelve 10 minute sets?<

Sure. Over the years, many guys have done sets of less than 20 minutes. 20 is a maximum.

>Or is it fine to take a short break (2 minutes) after 10 minutes of hanging, and then resume the rest of the 10 minutes to finish a single set?<

That is fine as well. As long as you remove the excess blood in the head and upper shaft before you reattach.

Bigger

Comment

Update: I think I finally figured out why I had so many problems with the edema. When I tighten, it's not tight enough, so it seemed like a lot of blood was still moving in my head. While the hanger does not slip at all, all this build up starts to (somehow) make my foreskin fold in on itself, which then causes the edema. So the root cause is just too much blood rushing in during the middle of a set, which causes all my discomfort (the cold, burning sensation).

My fix was tightening a bit more. The teeth of the hanger now mesh more (I know you're supposed to leave some space, but this is the best I can do where I can hang for a full 20 minutes without discomfort while feeling a great stretching sensation in my ligs). Tested this at 8 pounds, and it was great. Best sets I've had thus far.

Comment

qwerty12,

>My fix was tightening a bit more. The teeth of the hanger now mesh more (I know you're supposed to leave some space, but this is the best I can do where I can hang for a full 20 minutes without discomfort while feeling a great stretching sensation in my ligs). Tested this at 8 pounds, and it was great. Best sets I've had thus far. <

As far as the top gap, the extra room is exactly what you are using it for...to tighten more! So, if that is not enough extra room, you can move the bottom inner hex nuts in a bit more, or you can add a couple extra passes of wrap in the attachment zone. It is all subject to change.

Bigger

Comment

Update:

Finally gained after a couple months of learning how to properly wrap and attach. Haven't had any issues with blood pressure, wrapping, or forming shoulders since revising technique. It's not much, but it's something! 0.25 inches gained in BPFSL. Fatiguing consistently after the first or second set with 10 pounds. I drop down to 7.5 right after (my weights are in increments of 2.5). I still feel a deep lig stretch at 7.5.

1. Wondering if it's better to drop down to 9 pounds instead, or does it not matter as long as you still feel a deep stretch without the same level as fatigue before you dropped the weight?

2. Is it better to increase sets now for more potential gains? I'm guessing your potential for gains increases as time under tension increases up to a certain point. I wanted to try to increase sets to 7 on weekends (with 6 always on weekdays) as I have more time on the weekends.

3. I would assume the most optimal way of gaining is when the weight is as low as possible and you are still getting fatigued. With that being said, does increasing the sets with the same weight expedite the time you would increase the weight? In other words, if I increased to 7 sets with 10 pounds, would I expect to increase the pounds sooner as opposed to keeping 10 pounds at 6 sets for a longer period? My guess is that the more time you spend hanging at a certain weight, the faster you will plateau.

Thanks as always, Bigger!

Comment

qwerty12,

>Finally gained after a couple months of learning how to properly wrap and attach.<

Congratulations.

> Fatiguing consistently after the first or second set with 10 pounds. I drop down to 7.5 right after (my weights are in increments of 2.5). I still feel a deep lig stretch at 7.5.<

You need to get one lb weights and reduce in smaller increments when needed. With a ten lb max, reducing 2.5 inches is too much.

>1. Wondering if it's better to drop down to 9 pounds instead, or does it not matter as long as you still feel a deep stretch without the same level as fatigue before you dropped the weight?<

Try nine first.

>2. Is it better to increase sets now for more potential gains? I'm guessing your potential for gains increases as time under tension increases up to a certain point. I wanted to try to increase sets to 7 on weekends (with 6 always on weekdays) as I have more time on the weekends.<

That is fine. Just do not increase weight and sets in the same week. And varying sets by one is not bad. But do not do any more than that. Be consistent.

>3. I would assume the most optimal way of gaining is when the weight is as low as possible and you are still getting fatigued. <

Yes.

>With that being said, does increasing the sets with the same weight expedite the time you would increase the weight? In other words, if I increased to 7 sets with 10 pounds, would I expect to increase the pounds sooner as opposed to keeping 10 pounds at 6 sets for a longer period? My guess is that the more time you spend hanging at a certain weight, the faster you will plateau.<

I really have no idea. I would imagine different guys have different experiences. You base it all on fatigue. When a weight no longer brings on fatigue early in your sessions, you increase a bit. If after that increase, at any time, you find it is too much, you decrease a bit. I should say, always decrease at any time in order to remain comfortable.

Bigger

Comment

Got it.

And in regards to lowering weights once you reach fatigue, what is exactly meant by "riding" the fatigue. That is, you feel an intense sensation at 10 pounds, then drop to 9 in the second set. In the second set at 9 pounds, you feel that same sensation, so you drop the weights again. Is this what riding the fatigue means?

Comment

qwerty12,

>And in regards to lowering weights once you reach fatigue, what is exactly meant by "riding" the fatigue.<

The fatigue continues, even though you lowered the weight. Read the managing fatigue thread in the Basics section.

>That is, you feel an intense sensation at 10 pounds, then drop to 9 in the second set. In the second set at 9 pounds, you feel that same sensation, so you drop the weights again. Is this what riding the fatigue means?<

Yes. You feel the tissues giving, but not so much that it causes extreme discomfort.

Bigger

Comment

Working...
                    X