No announcement yet.

Log + Questions regarding attaching hanger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you also continue to do one set that fatigues the ligaments while healing? I'm mostly healed, but the tear is still open. Seems like any weight I use these days, my skin is burning, especially the tear, so I have to drop down to extremely low weights.

Comment

qwerty12,

>Do you also continue to do one set that fatigues the ligaments while healing? I'm mostly healed, but the tear is still open. Seems like any weight I use these days, my skin is burning, especially the tear, so I have to drop down to extremely low weights.<

If you use too much, the skin is not going to heal very quickly. I would just work on stretching skin, and letting the tear heal. The ligs will be fine until you get your weight back up. You must get the skin worked out.

Bigger

Comment

Update on the skin tear: while it's been healing as I put triple antibiotic, it's still open. I've lowered my weight pretty substantially (down to a 1.5 pounds). The wound is red. Wondering what I should be doing here because it's been several weeks and this wound just won't closely entirely.

Comment

qwerty12,

>Update on the skin tear: while it's been healing as I put triple antibiotic, it's still open. I've lowered my weight pretty substantially (down to a 1.5 pounds). The wound is red. Wondering what I should be doing here because it's been several weeks and this wound just won't closely entirely.<

I never took that long to heal with any of my skin tears. IF you have not hung significant weight in several weeks, then you will most probably have to stop altogether to allow it to heal completely. Doubtful that you are preserving much soft tissue conditioning at 1.5 lbs anyway.

Having said that, when you start back, you will have to start at five lbs or less. I would not speculate about what might happen, but the area may be weak for an extended period, and open back up if you stress it too much.

Another option is to hang SO, so that you can maintain or gain soft tissue conditioning, and put less or no strain on the base skin.

I cannot remember if you have sent me technique pictures, but you might do that I might see something wrong, like the hanger not grasping the internals, etc.

Bigger

Comment

Originally posted by Bib View Post
            qwerty12,

>Update on the skin tear: while it's been healing as I put triple antibiotic, it's still open. I've lowered my weight pretty substantially (down to a 1.5 pounds). The wound is red. Wondering what I should be doing here because it's been several weeks and this wound just won't closely entirely.<

I never took that long to heal with any of my skin tears. IF you have not hung significant weight in several weeks, then you will most probably have to stop altogether to allow it to heal completely. Doubtful that you are preserving much soft tissue conditioning at 1.5 lbs anyway.

Having said that, when you start back, you will have to start at five lbs or less. I would not speculate about what might happen, but the area may be weak for an extended period, and open back up if you stress it too much.

Another option is to hang SO, so that you can maintain or gain soft tissue conditioning, and put less or no strain on the base skin.

I cannot remember if you have sent me technique pictures, but you might do that I might see something wrong, like the hanger not grasping the internals, etc.

Bigger
            Hi Bigger,

I was hanging about 11 pounds maybe 8 days ago now? I moved a bit too aggressively, and since then I've gone down to 1.5 pounds.

For SO, would it be as simple as attaching the weight (let's say 5 pounds), and then sitting on my bed with the hanger just straight out lying on the bed? So my body position at the waist would be 90 degrees, and then the hanger just extends straight out on the bed?

Comment

qwerty12,

>For SO, would it be as simple as attaching the weight (let's say 5 pounds), and then sitting on my bed with the hanger just straight out lying on the bed? So my body position at the waist would be 90 degrees, and then the hanger just extends straight out on the bed?<

If you were standing up, straight out from your body would be SO.

I sat in my office chair with a PVC half pipe tied to the front edge of my chair. Then I sat far enough back so the skids of the hanger rode on the half pipe, with the weights hanging down.

Bigger

Comment

qwerty12,

>For SO, would it be as simple as attaching the weight (let's say 5 pounds), and then sitting on my bed with the hanger just straight out lying on the bed? So my body position at the waist would be 90 degrees, and then the hanger just extends straight out on the bed?<

If you were standing up, straight out from your body would be SO.

I sat in my office chair with a PVC half pipe tied to the front edge of my chair. Then I sat far enough back so the skids of the hanger rode on the half pipe, with the weights hanging down.

Bigger
                Gotcha, that makes sense. So it's basically ensuring that the hanger itself is not hanging down; it's more so that the weight itself is hanging down while the hanger is still propped up by something. Is that correct?

Comment

qwerty12,

>Gotcha, that makes sense. So it's basically ensuring that the hanger itself is not hanging down; it's more so that the weight itself is hanging down while the hanger is still propped up by something. Is that correct?<

Yes.

Bigger

Comment

So my skin has fully healed, but whenever I do hang, it is consistently red (the pink hue is where the rips once where). I'm assuming you've had this issue many times in the past during your hanging experience. Any tips of ensuring the red/pink hue of the healed tissue goes away?

Comment

qwerty12,

>So my skin has fully healed, but whenever I do hang, it is consistently red (the pink hue is where the rips once where). I'm assuming you've had this issue many times in the past during your hanging experience. Any tips of ensuring the red/pink hue of the healed tissue goes away?<

Keep living. It will continue to heal, and eventually disappear. It is a process that your body has probably been through many times, depending on your age. You get an injury, you heal.

Bigger

Comment

Hey Bigger,

Quick question about moving up in weight after a recovered injury. It seems that hanging at about 5 pounds for 6 sets puts some more strain on the injured part of my skin. The skin isn't ripping or anything, but it does get red rather quickly after hanging normally (not stretching skin or anything). That is, if I hang and attach at the normal range, the healed part of my skin turns more red and seems to take more of the strain. I'm trying to work up back to my previous weight and condition soft tissue, but I'm not sure how to continue working up in weight if the healed part of my skin continues to have a slight burning/strain sensation at 5 pounds. I fear that moving up to 6 pounds+ will just rip the skin open again.

I put vaseline on the healed part of my skin pretty much daily (both when I am hanging and when I am not). I do 6 sets, 3 in the morning and 3 at night. Currently at 5 pounds. Hanging BTC. Attaching at normal range, not stretching skin.

Any advice? Should I switch to SD, and if so, is it common to then go back to BTC once things feel more or less normal?

Comment

qwerty12,

>Quick question about moving up in weight after a recovered injury. It seems that hanging at about 5 pounds for 6 sets puts some more strain on the injured part of my skin. The skin isn't ripping or anything, but it does get red rather quickly after hanging normally (not stretching skin or anything). That is, if I hang and attach at the normal range, the healed part of my skin turns more red and seems to take more of the strain. I'm trying to work up back to my previous weight and condition soft tissue, but I'm not sure how to continue working up in weight if the healed part of my skin continues to have a slight burning/strain sensation at 5 pounds. I fear that moving up to 6 pounds+ will just rip the skin open again.<

Well, it might. But generally, the skin or almost any bodily tissue will get stronger in the area that is deformed. The thing is, you do not know what might happen. But that is no reason not to go for your goals. I would lay out a stress progression based on your attachment point, then follow it.

If any area gets to much stress and you cannot handle it, then reduce the angle of hang. So if BTC is causing too much stress, reduce to SD, or somewhere in between.

>Any advice? Should I switch to SD, and if so, is it common to then go back to BTC once things feel more or less normal?<

You can hang either or both. When my skin was too sore, I would reduce the angle of hang. There are ninety degrees difference between BTC and SD. Sometimes it does not take much of a reduction to take stress off of the skin. So it is not a matter of BTC or SD. Use whatever you need to get your sets in, and recondition your attachment point. Manage the fatigue.

Bigger

Comment

Got it, thanks, Bigger!

I think today in particular was just one of those off-days where my skin was extra sensitive (wasn't earlier in the week). Or because the past couple of days it managed to fatigue me to this point. Assuming the latter.

When you adjust your angles in BTC, are you generally just positioning your back at different angles? I don't use a chair or anything. I just lay straight down on the bed with my feet propped up to do BTC.

Comment

qwerty12,

>When you adjust your angles in BTC, are you generally just positioning your back at different angles? I don't use a chair or anything. I just lay straight down on the bed with my feet propped up to do BTC.<

That probably is not good. To lessen the angle of hang while sitting or being comfortable, you need to hang with the skids of the hanger on a hard edge.

I hung sitting in an executive office chair, with a PVC half pipe tied to the front edge of the chair.

You cannot do that on a bed. The hanger skids will just dig into the bed.

You can get a used office chair cheap on craigslist, ebay, etc.

Bigger

Comment

qwerty12,

>When you adjust your angles in BTC, are you generally just positioning your back at different angles? I don't use a chair or anything. I just lay straight down on the bed with my feet propped up to do BTC.<

That probably is not good. To lessen the angle of hang while sitting or being comfortable, you need to hang with the skids of the hanger on a hard edge.

I hung sitting in an executive office chair, with a PVC half pipe tied to the front edge of the chair.

You cannot do that on a bed. The hanger skids will just dig into the bed.

You can get a used office chair cheap on craigslist, ebay, etc.

Bigger
                                I see. But in terms of just regular BTC hanging without lessening the angles, is it fine? I can switch to an office chair for my next set to lessen the angle.

Comment

Working...
                                X